EMERGE: Riverina Playwright Commission
Sharing Regional Stories with the World: Submissions Now Closed
ABOUT THE COMMISSION
Outback Theatre for Young People is offering a $10,000 playwriting commission and mentorship for a young regional playwright to create a work (50 Minutes to and hour, one act) that brings regional voices and stories to the stage.
The EMERGE Commission will nurture an emerging Playwright’s professional growth through a mentoring process in 2014, resulting in a play that shares an authentic regional voice and the potential for it to be staged as part of OTYP’s 2015 season.
The commission and mentorship includes:
· $10,000 Commission fee
· A three month mentorship with Sydney playwright, Jessica Bellamy to assist in the development of the work
· 2 week-long residencies in regional NSW to workshop the script with Jessica Bellamy and OTYP
· A place at Australian Theatre for Young People’s National Studio in 2014 held from the 28th August to the 6th September
· The opportunity to spend two separate one-week residencies working with young people aged between 14-18 to see how the dialogue works on stage and to get feedback on how the piece is being received by young people.
· All travel and accommodation paid for during the week long residencies and the National Studio
EMERGE COMMISSION DETAILS AND HOW TO ENTER
You can DOWNLOAD an application pack HERE or else read below.
– Writer must be aged between 16-26
– Writer must either:
- Currently living in the Riverina, NSW
- If living elsewhere, can demonstrate a strong connection to the Riverina. (please include details of this in your submission)
– The play should be able to be performed by actors aged 14-26
– The central driver of this commission is to create an authentically Australian work, which offers people an alternative perspective about life in regional Australia. This should be considered, and evident in your submission.
We understand that developing a submission, as a new writer can be an overwhelming process. We encourage you to call and talk to us and we can help guide you through the process. Call Creative Producer Claire Harris on 0417 164 641 for further information.
WHAT TO SUBMIT
– Your full contact details
– Pitch for your proposed play/synopsis
– Examples of written work (up to four pages)
– A writer’s statement (what inspired the work? why this story? why now?)
– If not currently living in the Riverina, a brief explanation of your connection to the area.
– Proposed cast size/technical requirement/specific staging ideas
NB: Please compile your submission into one document for easy distribution to our judging panel.
Please email your submission to email@example.com
We have appointed an expert panel of judges to review all submissions. If you’re shortlisted we will call on you to meet with us, and/or to provide us with more information about your proposal in order for us to make a final decision.
We may call on the shortlisted participants to join us for a one-day writing intensive to further explore the themes of your proposed work and assess writing ability.
IF YOU ARE AWARDED THE COMMISSION WHAT HAPPENS?
You will be named the inaugural winner of the EMERGE: Riverina Playwright Award!
OTYP have developed a strategy so that the winner of the EMERGE commission is offered various professional development opportunities as part of the mentoring and play writing process. These include:
– Inclusion in the Australian Theatre for Young People’s National Playwriting Studio
– A three-month mentoring program with Jessica Bellamy between June and August 2014. It is not expected that this will be full time but rather at times negotiated with Jessica. This will be through skype, telephone and email contact and face-to-face meetings.
– 2 week-long residencies in the Riverina. These dates will be finalised to suit the Playwright and Playwriting Mentor and will include the opportunity to access a cast and a director.
NB: It is an expectation that if you are awarded the commission that you will be available to partake in all of the above. OTYP will endeavour to schedule the residencies at a time suitable for the playwright.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: I don’t live in the Riverina, am I eligible?
A: We are looking to share regional stories from a Riverina perspective. If you have a connection to the area and can demonstrate that, please apply. We would love to hear your idea.
Q: When will I receive the commissioning fee?
A: The commissioning fee will be paid in instalments.
$2,000 on signing contract. $2,500 on completion of first draft. $2,500 on completion of second draft (after in-schools workshop process) $3,000 on final draft.
Q: Will the play be staged?
A: There is the potential to stage the production as part of Outback Theatre for Young People’s 2015 season. With all our programs, this will be dependent upon funding and resources.
Q: Where do I send my submission?
A: Please email your submission in one PDF document to Claire@outbacktheatre.com by no later than the Wednesday 23 April 2014. Any submissions after this date may not be considered.
Q: I have a question about the commission, who can I talk to?
A: You can call OTYP’s Creative Producer Claire Harris on 0417 164 641. She will be happy to answer any of your questions. Or email Claire@outbacktheatre.com
The commission would not be possible without the support of our supporters at Arts NSW, The Australia Council and the Ian Potter Foundation.