Outback Theatre for Young People engages with young people from regional and remote communities to create distinctive contemporary theatre through collaborative processes.
Outback Theatre for Young People (OTYP) is dedicated to creating innovative, participant-owned youth theatre. We engage young people, aged 4 to 26 years, from throughout the Riverina region of NSW and Northern Victoria, in collaborative, generative theatre projects that celebrate their lives and their aspirations. OTYP works with an Artistic Directorate model where a small group of Artistic Directors work across our region, supported by a Creative Producer. Each project is designed for and shaped by the participants, with two stages over two years in order to develop sustainable arts practice in our communities.
OTYP’s work increasingly explores interdisciplinary arts and the nature of theatrical performance as a means of engaging rural young people and communities. We aim to raise the profile of and develop support for, regional young people and our objective is excellence in youth theatre. Our projects create an inclusive and supportive creative environment, where young people have the opportunity to give voice and value to their ideas.
- To develop relevant, innovative theatre which reflects and connects our people, our cultural traditions, diversity and our place
- To develop skills through working collaboratively with professional theatre artists
- To link strategically with other organisations and form partnerships to deliver youth theatre projects
- To raise the profile of the company
- And to ensure the long-term viability of Outback Theatre through effective and efficient governance and management practices